When We Are Closed



Nhs England

Call 111 when it's a concern, but less urgent than 999.

The NHS non-emergency number.

111 is the NHS non-emergency number. It's fast, easy and free. Call 111 and speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.


If you’re Deaf and want to use the phone service, you can use the NHS 111 British Sign Language service available in your country:

You can also call 18001 111 on a textphone.


How NHS 111 works

You answer questions about your symptoms on the website, or by speaking to a fully trained adviser on the phone.

You can ask for a translator if you need one.

Depending on the situation you’ll:

  • find out what local service can help you
  • be connected to a nurse, emergency dentist, pharmacist or GP
  • get a face-to-face appointment if you need one
  • be told how to get any medicine you need
  • get self-care advice

You can also get:


Minor Ailments Service (via Pharmacists)

What is the minor ailments service?

Pharmacists are experts on medicines and can offer advice on treating many minor illnesses and injuries. But did you know, with our minor ailments service, you may also be eligible to receive free medication for many minor illnesses and injuries without having to visit your GP.


Who is eligible for the minor ailments service?

You must be registered with a Southampton GP practice and eligible for free prescriptions to receive medication free of charge using the minor ailments service.


Which conditions can the minor ailments service help with?

The minor ailments service can help you and your family with a wide range of conditions. You can find a list here.


Which pharmacies are running the minor ailments service?

Our list of pharmacies in Southampton contains details of which pharmacies are providing the minor ailments service.


How do I find out more?

You don’t need an appointment, simply pop in to one of the listed pharmacies and ask about the minor ailments service


Dental Emergencies in-&-out of hours

We are a GP practice and do not deal with dental emergencies. If you need urgent dental treatment e.g. tooth abscess, please contact your usual dental practice, as they may be able to see you or direct you to an urgent dental care service. If you do not have a regular dentist, contact NHS 111 for advice on where you can get urgent care.

The cost of emergency dental treatment is currently £22.70. You may be advised to make another appointment for a separate course of non-urgent treatment. If this happens, you will have to pay a second charge in the relevant treatment band.

If you're entitled to free NHS dental care, you should be able to claim back the cost of any treatment.

Ensure you keep all receipts. 

If you're asked to come back for further treatment, this will be considered to be a separate course of non-urgent treatment.

You'll have to pay the relevant charge for the new course of treatment.

Ask the dentist what the treatment will cost or whether you can have a treatment plan.


When to go to Hospital

Only go to accident and emergency (A&E) in serious circumstances, such as:

  • severe pain 
  • heavy bleeding 
  • injuries to the face, mouth, or teeth 

If you're not sure whether you should go to A&E, contact NHS 111, who will be able to advise you. 


The Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC)

The Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) at the Royal South Hants Hospital offers convenient, fast and expert treatment on a wide range of injuries or illnesses that are not life/limb threatening.


What to know

The service is led by highly skilled nurses, who are supported by GP’s and other health professionals, who can offer treatment, advice and information for a range of injuries and illnesses that need urgent medical attention, but are not life-threatening. The waiting times can be considerably less than at the emergency department and the UTC team can also refer or direct you to the most appropriate service for you if you need to be seen elsewhere.

You don’t need to make an appointment, the UTC is open to all NHS patients and you can also call NHS 111 before visiting to get an appointment at a specific time.


Opening hours

  • Monday – Friday: 7.30am – 10.00pm
  • Weekends and Bank Holidays: 8.00am – 10.00pm

Last patient accepted at 9.30pm


Where to find the service

Royal South Hants Hospital
Level B, Brintons Terrace
SO14 0YG

The service is located at the Royal South Hants Hospital. The entrance can be found adjacent to car park F, to the left of the main entrance on level B.


When to go

The UTC can help adults and children with:

  • x-ray for arms and legs
  • a range of illnesses that need urgent advice or treatment, but aren’t life threatening, such as urinary tract infections (UTIs), rashes, ear and throat infections, fever and abdominal pain
  • stitching and closing wounds
  • minor head injuries
  • sprains and strains
  • suspected broken bones to arms, lower leg and feet
  • removing splinters
  • removing foreign bodies from ears, noses etc.
  • dressing broken limbs and minor wounds, cuts, grazes
  • wound infections
  • minor burns
  • insect and animal bites
  • minor eye injuries
  • minor injuries to back, shoulder and chest.

Find out more at the Royal South Hants Hospital website and check the current waiting times by following them on Twitter


When not to go

UTCs are unable to help with:

  • serious medical emergencies posing an immediate threat to a person’s health or life
  • serious head injury or loss of consciousness
  • accidental or deliberate overdose of drugs
  • severe allergic reaction
  • severe blood loss.

For these conditions, you should dial 999 or go to your local Emergency Department.


Emergency Departments (formerly known as Accident & Emergency/Casualty Departments)

The nearest Emergency Department is located at Southampton General Hospital (SO16 6YD). This should not be your first port of call for health concerns unless a genuine emergency and/or significant accident (which cannot be managed at the MIU).

In a genuine emergency you should call 999. Examples of such emergencies include: Chest pains and / or shortness of breath, or suspected stroke.
Recognising a stroke - remember FAST (Facial droop, Arm weakness, Speech slurring, Time: if any of these symptoms occur, time is of the essence - call 999)